POTLOTEK, MISSION HISTORICAL SITE - $210
From the Glooscap in Unamaki Series
Chapel Island or Potlotek is the traditional gathering area for the Mi’kmaq. Here, the business of the tribe was carried out by the Grand Council.
In 1742, a French missionary named Abbe Maillard first preached to the Mi’kmaq gathered on the Island. In 1757, Maillard built a church in honor of St. Anne, the Patron saint of the Mi’kmaq. The church was the first of six churches built on the Island.
The church depicted in the painting was built in 1906. This building was destroyed by fire caused by a lightning strike in 1976. In 2003, Chapel Island was designated as a National Historic Site.
Size: 17“ x 22"
Price - $210